We stayed at this very opulent hotel in central
The first night we were there, we went out for this amazing sushi dinner. This might be the best sushi I’ve had in 
And then we went back to Chie’s family house for dessert. Nagu played with some coffee beans, fruit, and his grandfather.

The next day we drove past some beautiful mountains to a town that is famous for pottery. This town (in the next prefecture over from 
Then we went and made the pottery. This really puts the paint-your-own-pottery places to shame. We were given aprons, a kilogram of clay, a handwheel, and a little demonstration, and then told to go for it. It was not so easy, but with some help, Mike and I managed to make decent pieces. The others made their pieces, which were more than decent, without help. All the same, I’m quite proud of the bowl I made, and I hope it survives the trip back to the 
The firing process takes a month, and then Chie’s parents will ship us our finished products. And, yes, there will be pictures posted when the pieces arrive.
The next day, we headed off to Matsushima. First, we went to this very beautiful Buddhist temple. The temple had beautiful painted screens and indoor rooms a bit like some of the temples in 



After visiting the temple, we went to a Buddhist vegetarian restaurant for lunch. The food was, of course, delicious. And so beautifully presented!

What could follow such an elegant lunch but ice cream?
Sticky.
Then, we headed for the bay and the islands. We took a boat tour out to see some of the islands. We also saw a lot of seagulls, who had perfected these fierce dives they used for catching food that was tossed to them just nanoseconds before the food hit the water.


And now, the moment you have all been waiting for . . . the kiku-fuku report! Well, first, for the record, I need to make a correction: kiku-fuku aren’t really filled with ice cream, just cream. That, however, doesn’t make them any less good. They are about the size and thickness of a tiny donut, but rounded a bit into the bun shape. Kiku-fuku come in two varieties: one with a more green tea-y taste and one with a more bean jam-y taste. I recommend the former (the latter is pictured below in a sign advertizing the kiku-fuku). Since they are filled with fresh cream, they only keep for a day or two and they have to be refrigerated. I think that they are best eaten at room temperature, though. I would definitely encourage travelers to
And that was



1 comment:
KEM:
Thanks for another great post and more wonderful pix! Thanks too for not posting any pix of MHS eating HIS ice cream - I'm sure it wouldn't have been a pretty sight!
Ben N. Jerri
Post a Comment