This is my first project involving ribs. I struggled a bit with shaping at the top of the hat and had to email out a desperate plea of help to my panel of experts (thanks, experts!). Of course, the resulting hat in no way reflects on their knitting skills. Truth be told, I am not very happy with it. I don’t like the way the decrease looks on the ribs, though I know that it will look less dramatic once it is stretched out on the baby’s head. I wonder if there is a way to decrease only the space between the ribs while holding and knitting the ribs separately (maybe with a cable needle or something?). Luckily, babies are stupid and not terribly fashion-conscious so I think that I can still give this hat away as a baby gift. Also, We found a farmer’s market near our house.
The prices are pretty good (although I did see an exceptionally small amount of strawberries for almost $4), but the market also has its share of things we don’t really use or use in such quantities: daikon, Japanese scallions, or unidentifiable roots and leafy-things. I did buy some great looking spinach and broccoli, though. I hope that as spring comes, the variety of veggies will increase.
Spring? That’s right – we can finally start to think about spring here. Now, don’t get me wrong: although the sun is out today, we still need the heat on indoors, and I’m wearing flannel-lined jeans as I write this. BUT if you go outside between the magical hours of 11am and 2pm, you can sometimes catch a mild, warm-ish wind. Of course, by 3:30, any gentleness is gone, and if you find yourself biking home in the rain (as both Mike and I did yesterday), it is still bitterly cold and extremely unpleasant and enough to put one into a very foul mood (hypothetically speaking, of course). But at least now I do believe that spring will come. In fact, today I celebrated this by taking my first run outside since, oh, September.
Note: it has now rained a bitter, cold rain for the last 5 days straight. See what you get when you even DARE to think about spring?
6 comments:
Kate,
The hat looks beautiful! I think that you did a great job. The ribbing is even & consistent, which is no small task!
Congratulations!
Amy, you are too nice! I think the top looks strange, where it goes from a two-stitch rib to a one-stitch rib. Next time I see a hat with ribs, I'll have to take a good look at how it's really done.
riddle:
why is your father-in-law like a baby:
both of us are stupid - and think the hat looks wonderful!!
A. Fan
As a representative of babies everywhere I hereby protest your use of the word stupid. We prefer, naive.
Just a clarification: I didn't really mean that babies are truly stupid, just that they aren't very aware of their haberdashery options. Also, they can't balance redox equations, write novels, or cook souffle.
Your babies will both balance redox equations, write novels and cook souffles!!! MM
Post a Comment