BIG.
I’ve been pretty sick for the last few days (since before Izu, really), so I haven’t been doing much (blog-worthy or otherwise). I didn’t make to either Japanese class or art volunteering this week. But I did make it in to Tokyo to attend a holiday party with Mike. I even won a door prize: a polo shirt. Which really means Mike won a door prize; let’s be honest here . . . .
Anyway, I had some extra time before the holiday party, and I found myself in Roppongi. This was my first time ever in this part of Tokyo. In part, I’d always stayed away because it had seemed sort of sleazy and slimy, filled with lots of clubs that feature dancing women and the like. Also, the American Embassy sends out these newsletters and they frequently mention that Americans should stay away from Roppongi because of late-night nightclub shootings and drugged drinks and such.
Roppongi during the day didn’t seem half bad at all. I also learned that Goldman Sachs is located there, making the American Embassy’s advice seem a little challenging, at least for the Americans working there.
Roppongi Hills had this museum which featured a photography exhibit by Hiroshi Sugimoto (be bold: follow the link! The pictures are really cool!). I really like photography, and I knew that I’d seen some of his work before, so I paid and went in.
Imagine my surprise to discover that this museum was really on the 52nd floor of the building! (I suppose if I’d been able to read Japanese, I probably wouldn’t have been all that surprised)
The view from the 52nd floor was pretty amazing. Tokyo is really, really BIG.

3 comments:
And when I, obedient reader of posts that I am, followed the link to the photography of Hiroshi Sugimoto, I was surprised to see that this exhibit was of some amazing models of 3D math formulas. Even though I didn't understand the math, I thought they were very cool!
The view from the 52nd floor was amazing, too!!
I hope you are feeling better.
MD
kate.. please feel better soon... loved the math fotos - perhaps your FIL can explain them to me. I'm getting Zak a sumo outfit for chanukah - shhhh. don't tell.
I clicked on the 2nd of the 3 Tokyo skyline pictures and saw a red "Eiffel Tower-like" structure. What is that?
R. Key-Teckt
Post a Comment