Sunday, December 25, 2005

Recent Knitting

In the past few days, I’ve finished two hats.

The hat on the left is a gift for my friend Christine. It is similar to the “Official Kittyville Hat” from the Stitch and Bitch book.The earflaps and bottom are done in seed/moss stitch (a new skill for me!) and the yarn used was, well, uh, gray wool and red cashmere (maybe it was cashmere since it’s very soft and not too shed-y or itchy – since I can’t read the labels, who knows?), single strands of each held together using size 9 needles. Since this was, obviously, different yarn from the pattern in the book, I ended up using the universal hat pattern for directions.

The hat on the right is a hostess gift. I used size 10 needles and Noro yarn for this – I think in English this yarn is called Kumeyon – it’s 100% wool, but not super-scratchy. I’m not thrilled with the color combo in this hat, though this is all one skein of yarn. I think if I were to make a similar hat again, I’d pay much more attention to the colors and try to engineer a hat whose colors I like better using several skeins of yarn.

My next projects are three more hats . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hats are great, but I really taken with the good-looking hat model in the picture.

Did you get him from an agency or does he work for you?

Anonymous said...

Your knitting prowess is remarkable.. I remember when you just learned how and you practiced until obviously perfect! Applause to you for this creative feat! It might be fun to knit something for a sumo wrestler to wear during the winter months, don't you agree?

katem said...

The model works for me. And for food.