Sunday, October 16, 2005

The grocery store

Is an experience unto itself.


I actually love the grocery store. Really. I could walk around there for HOURS - it is endlessly exciting. Of course, I’m never sure what anything is. That's me: alternately confused and amused, but mostly confused . . .

Japan has great mushrooms, and really good fruit. Of course, neither of these items look exactly like they do in the states (the mushrooms come in clumps here, and the first time I saw figs here, I thought they were some kind of onion/garlic/shallot).

We go to several grocery stores, depending on what we need, where we are, etc. One grocery store we go to actually has English aisle labels (just like the U.S). Only they aren’t quite just like the U.S. Here are my two favorites:
Delicacies? What are delicacies? Moreover, if you are a grocery store don’t you want to suggest that everything in your store is a delicacy? I mean, why restrict this to one aisle? Where do you keep the bad food?
I love the rice sign. What else remains to be captured under “products related to rice”?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, what are "products related to rice?"

Signed,
Curious in Southfield

Anonymous said...

i love the rice sign!! you should enter it on www.engrish.com
yay for all your adventures =o)
-=Liz=-