Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Road to Anywhere: Exit 101

I-75 stretches from Northern Michigan all the way to Florida. There is actually a billboard in Florida that advertises the Christmas store in Frankenmuth, MI.

Today I drove on I-75 in order to visit an old friend in Flint, MI (one of my few friends who has remained in Michigan). She took me to a nice restaurant overlooking the Flint farmers' market. A part of my Flint tour included "the run-down buildings from Roger and Me."

As I drove out to visit my friend, I passed Exit 101, for Grange Hall road in Ortonville, Michigan. I figured that I must have gotten off at that exist at least 30 times in my life, first a camper at Camp Maas and later as a counselor. I remember the old directions that used to come with the camp literature-looking like a mimeograph of a photocopy-which included the famous reference to "the second Perriville Road." And certainly I remember the camp itself: the waterfront, the trails connecting villages and activity centers, the sounds of children and their counselors yelling village cheers, the smells of cabins and lodges.

It is strange to think that, had I followed my immediate instinct to get off at Exit 101 and drive the familiar road to camp, I would no longer recognize any campers or counselors, and I (as a strange adult) would almost certainly not be allowed into the camp at all. Unlike expressways, people cannot exist in multiple places at the same time; we must make choices. And even though I am happy with the choices that I have made, I may always feel a little disoriented as I pass Exit 101.

4 comments:

Eric said...

peace man, i know how that goes--Like the first time coming home after going away to college... Btw you guys have inspired me to post more regularly in my blog. Its mostly about food, but its a little funny and inappropriate too. Very berkeley-centric. See you in a few!

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Who got censored? Mindy Raf and I have assembled a list of suspects:
(1) Scott S., whose views on Tamarack camps have long been known to be controversial--and who has already been censored on the topic
(2) Leonid S., who has inspired at least one village supervisor to unnatural passion
(3) Roman S., who probably posted a link to a photograph of dirty briefs suggestively propped up with a stick, along with the caption: "Is this your boyfriend's?"
(4) Glenn, whose written output is often a liability for plagiarism lawsuits (cf "Oasis vs. 'Deroy Wall,' No. 1-96-4278m 1st Dis")

--Southfield

MHS said...

Those are all good theories, but I have a feeling that Eric posted twice by accident and then took the second one down. As of now we have not censored anyone.