So the last week or so has been very eventful.
We’ve moved out of our compartment in Seattle. Most of our furniture is going to our good friend Turan, who is moving into his own place after several years of living in shared housing. Our extra clothes and furnishings all went into storage. We used those pod-like things. In one sense, this was great because, hey, they bring the thing to you. In another sense this was bad because you realize that all that is protecting your stuff from marauding bands of brigands are several sheets of plywood and a master lock. I didn’t sleep very well the first night that our stuff was in the containers.
Of course, moving is really two miserable jobs: the packing up of your old place AND the cleaning out of your old place. Mike and I forgot to save old clothes, so a quick trip to Fred Meyer later, we were equipped in matching outfits, the pants courtesy of the Linda Evans petite line. Also, they were on sale. And the print was called “samurai.” How could I not buy?

So we bleached and swept and scrubbed and mopped and vacuumed.
Mike was mostly in charge of the bleach, harkening back to his days in high school chemistry:

I should also add that, yes, Mike and I went to get lunch dressed like this.
And, yes, people looked at us.
On the other hand,
Seattle is the city of
UTILIKILTS, so whatever floats your boat . . .
Major thanks go to my Wellesley friend Jen who came to help us. Now that is sisterhood!

SYL also came to help us.
She was like the cleaning closer.
Without her, we might still be there.
No word yet on our security deposit. The total we could be out is $300. Any bets on how much we’ll lose?
We then went to Scott and Meredith’s for a few days. They are awesome hosts – perhaps because they haven’t truly had a chance to look at the state of their guest room [while I am writing this from Michigan, our Japan-bound stuff, sorted into various piles, is still with them].
We had a great anniversary dinner with them at Ray’s. Really, there is nothing like Seattle in the summer, especially when you are watching the sun set behind the Olympics.
We are now in Michigan. Really, it’s late and I have a lot to say, so I’ll end here and pick up on the Michigan part tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment