Monday, July 25, 2005

Camping in WA

We spent the weekend camping with our congregation. We were just north of Roslyn, Washington. This is the part of the Cascades that (theoretically) has more sun than the Seattle side. Except it was POURING when we arrived on Friday. A serious amount of rain fell as we sent up the tent and a nice puddle formed in the bottom of the tent.

Then (thankfully!), the sun came out. In an attempt to dry out the tent, I broke every rule of tent ownership: I left the door open, I placed it in direct sun without the fly, and I turned it upside down in the dirt (all the better to dry the floor, my lovelies). These things did dry out the tent, and we went on to have an extremely lovely weekend.

We hiked in an old-growth forest and we ate a lot of s’mores. I also swam in a very cold creek. At night there were soooo many stars – they were amazing. Living in Seattle, you forget about the stars. . . . And the trees were so tall, the sky so blue. I love the mountains. I can’t wait to get back to my mountains, the Sierras.

Pictures from the trip are posted below

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it true that Harvey FInkleberg was your trail guide?

Eric said...

Those kids are sooo cute.. I'm glad you guys had such a great weekend. Our mountains are indeed calling us...See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Funny that you talk about the sun. Mindy Raff and I were just discussing the sun, and how it wouldn't shine so brightly over this nation without you. Then we remembered that you were going to Japan only to finish the job that we abandoned back in '45. And we were consoled.

Southfield